A slightly adapted recipe I got from a very good friend of mine.
500g diced chicken
1 red onion
3-4 green chillies
1 root ginger
2-3 garlic cloves
2 black cardamon
Green cardamon pods
1 stick cinnamon
1 star aniseed
1 bay leaf
1 tbs deg murgh (chilli powder)
2 tbs mdh meat curry masala
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 tin coconut milk (used to reduce spice heats and optional)
Note… For better tasting chicken, marinade in some curry masala spice with a little oil overnight
1. Chop and blend together using a hand blender the garlic, chillies, onion, ginger and mint. Blend to a paste.
2. In a preheated pot with a little oil, put in the cinamon stick, black cardamom, aniseed star and a couple of the green cardamom pods. Stir for a few minutes then remove items, leaving just a small amount of oil.
3. Add in the blended onion, garlic etc into the pot and bring to boil then simmer for 3 mins
4. Next add the degh murgh and the masala spice and stir in. Add a little water if needed. Add about 5-6 crushed green cardamom seeds into pan.
5. Add tinned toms, a little salt and simmer for a further 5 mins.
6. Add the chicken, bay leaf and bring to boil then add the coconut milk (optional)and simmer for 45-50 mins covering pot and stir occasionally during this time.
7. Serve on a bed of rice with chopped coriander over top